All About Food Grade Silicone Products and BPA
Food storage and daily use products have been incorporated with a lot of plastic. We all know that single-use plastic products are made for our convenience but, on the other hand, it has harmful effects on the environment and our bodies. Plastics that don't end up in landfills often end up in the oceans and enter the food chain, which is a big concern for our health nowadays as there’s harsh chemicals and toxins found in plastics.
There are better alternatives available in the market to minimize the use of plastic to store food or beverages such as food-grade silicone products, glass, or wooden utensils.
What are Food-Grade Silicone and BPA?
Silicone is made from alternating silica and oxygen molecules in simpler terms which makes it a recyclable product. It is non-toxic and odorless; hence, it does not contain BPA, lead, or phthalates. It's highly resistant to damage and degradation from extreme chemicals. Additionally, it is more lightweight compared to plastic, can easily be carried, and it won't harden, crumble, crack, dry, or be brittle over time.
BPA or bisphenol A has been used to make certain plastics, particularly for food storage. It's a very harsh chemical for food and has extremely harmful effects on the human brain and bodies such as unhealthy fetal development. Plastic also includes cancer-causing chemicals which can be harmful in the long run.
Hence, the usage of plastic is not recommended based on research. Industrial companies mass-produce plastic items which makes it cheaper; however, it is now advised to invest a little more to use a safer range of materials.
Is Silicone Safe For Babies?
Over the past few years, the bright colors and fun design makes silicones a perfect go-to material for many parents who want to minimize their exposure to plastic usage. Additionally, silicone material itself is soft, rubber-like, and easy to use. The FDA has approved it as a "food-safe substance" and now can be found as a primary material when industries produce baby bottles, nipples, sippy cups, kitchen utensils, spoons, and even toys.
So, yes, silicone is safe for your child!
Benefits of Silicone Products:
Here are some reasons and features as to why you should get your hands on silicone products:
- Silicone is durable, flexible, and long-lasting as compared to single-use plastic products.
- It has high resistance properties; it can bear high and low temperatures, whereas plastic melts easily.
- It doesn't release any odor or toxic fumes during cooking or when in contact with heat.
- It is a versatile material that can be used for heating and freezing.
What to Look For When Buying Food Grade Silicone?
Before using silicone for your baby, you also need to take into consideration some important factors while you search for the best silicone range.
Resistance and exposure to heat and fat.Some studies show that when silicone is exposed to extreme heat it releases a small number of certain compounds called siloxanes leach from silicone. However, siloxanes do not leach from silicone products that are not exposed to very high heat and temperatures. Yet, it is important to be careful about heat temperatures when using silicone utensils.
Silicone purity.While buying silicone products make sure you choose 100℅ food-grade silicone. Some of them are less expensive but are not the real ones. To check the quality of food-grade silicone you can twist the tray or bag, if it changes its color to white then it's most probably not the real one. The real one doesn't change its color.
Is it tested and lead-free?Make sure to confirm the silicone quality, especially the colored ones. Since they're colored, there could be a source of lead hence it is important to confirm that they have been through lead testing. Most baby products will specify that they are lead-free. So it's better to get your products from trusted brands and manufacturers like Bubbable and those who are transparent about their silicone quality and materials. Often, well-known brands are FDA-approved too.
Must-Have Silicone Products For Your Baby
- Baby Feeding Set: The baby feeding set includes a beech wooden spoon, a hanging bib, and silicone bowls in different colors. The different variations of colors make it fun. Plus, silicone is also bacteria resistant making it hygienic too.
- Silicone Stacking Blocks: While stacking and building, babies explore through their mouths especially when they are teething! Silicone stacking blocks work as a baby teether because silicone's rubber-like nature makes it highly satisfying. However, thankfully FDA-approved silicone is safe for babies even if they are gnawing away on silicone!
- Silicone Popsicle Molds: Making popsicles is a fun activity for your kid to teach them all about making their favorite snacks at home. Silicones' flexibility allows you to simply peel them to release your frozen treats. Nothing too technical for kids to miss out on the fun!
Thus, silicone is a more eco-friendly and non-toxic option than plastic. As for baby products, the choice is completely yours whether to use food-grade silicone, glass, or all-natural products. The ultimate goal is to ensure the well-being and safety of your family.